Director: Neil Burger
Cast: Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Kate Winslet
Genre: Sci-fi, adventure, romance
Synopsis: In a world divided by factions based on virtues, Tris learns she’s Divergent and won’t fit in. When she discovers a plot to destroy Divergents, Tris and the mysterious Four must find out what makes Divergents dangerous before it’s too late.
Note: This isn’t a proper film review. I’m just discussing my thoughts on the movie in relation to the book.
The eagerly awaited Divergent movie is finally out! Divergent is a book to movie adaptation based on Veronica Roth’s Divergent. I highly recommend reading the books before watching the movie since they are the best.
Neil Burger has succeeded in delivering one of the best book to movie adaptations in recent years. The movie stayed true to the book and there were no drastic changes. Of course the movie has its flaws but I am able to overlook them as all the important events in the book were present.
- The opening shot introduces us to dystopian Chicago and the society of Divergent with its many factions, the introduction to this world wasn’t done in the most creative manner however it serves its purpose of informing people who haven’t read the book.
- Moving on to the characters, Shailene Woodley did a brilliant job of portraying the protagonist- Tris. Her acting was very realistic and you were able to empathize with her in grim moments but also feel the thrill when she was being a bad ass. Theo James, who played the role of Four did a thorough job of portraying the sarcastic and strong man.
- The movie captured the relationship between Tris and Four in all its entirety, they have great chemistry and the romance it gave me so many feels!
- Divergent was fast paced and there was never a dull moment. I was always on the edge of my seat in anticipation. I got the same exciting thrill I experienced in the book. My favourite scene would have to be when Tris was zip lining, the adrenaline and the high oh bless!
- The action shots in the movie were performed brilliantly. It wasn’t gruesome but you still felt the shocking impact that comes when a character is getting beaten up.
- The score/soundtrack was beautiful absolutely genius oh my god, it made me feel all the roller coaster of emotions so profoundly and complimented the movie nicely.
- However, the movie does lack character development. The reason I fell in love with the book was because of how Tris went from this unsure girl to this strong protagonist, and the movie sadly did not do the best job of capturing the transitions Tris experiences.
- A lot of the other characters from the book were left out but the ones that did make it into the movie did not receive enough screen time. I would have loved to see friendships and rivalries develop as thoroughly as they did in the books but oh well.
- I’m also disappointed that they cut some scenes short such as the ferris wheel scene for those of you who have read the book and know what I’m talking about.
- Another thing that got on my nerves was ,get this, in the books Tris is afraid of intimacy and it is such a huge part of her character however, in the movie they decided to change intimacy into submission, so suddenly Tris is afraid of being raped I mean wut? Being afraid of intimacy is very different from being afraid of rape.
- Also the simulation scenes where they showed Tris’ fears, it wasn’t very clear what exactly her fears were. Part of the reason I guess we don’t understand the simulation scenes well is because they were cut so short.
The movie Divergent did a great job of capturing the main themes and events in the book. Sure, there were little things amiss here and there but I’m satisfied with the end result. I would recommend watching the movie you won’t regret it and read the books too if you have time.
Have a great day/night
41 thoughts on “Divergent- Film review”
I’ll right away clutch your rss feed as I can not to find your email subscription hyperlink or newsletter service.
Do you have any? Kindly let me realize in order that
I could subscribe. Thanks.
It’s on the right hand sidebar under “subscribe to blog via email”.
I hope that helps and thanks so much!
It’s hard to not understand clearly formed information. You have presented your points in a clear, yet intelligent manner. I agree with you. Thanks for writing and sharing this article.
I’ve been surfing online more than 2 hours today, yet I never found any interesting
article like yours. It’s pretty worth enough for me.
Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you
did, the net will be much more useful than ever before. http://bing.net
I always emailed this website post page to all my friends, for
the reason that if like to read it afterward my links will too.
Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve truly enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.
In any case I’ll be subscribing in your feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!
I have been surfing online more than 4 hours today, yet I never found any
interesting article like yours. It’s pretty worth
enough for me. In my opinion, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
the internet will be much more useful than ever before.
Greetings! I’ve been reading your web site for some time now and finally got
the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas!
Just wanted to say keep up the great work!
Hello would you mind stating which blog platform you’re
working with? I’m planning to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having
a hard time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I’m
looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I
had to ask!
Every weekend i used to pay a visit this website,
as i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this web page conations genuinely pleasant
funny stuff too.
I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but
your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back in the future.
All the best
I am curious to find out what blog platform you are utilizing?
I’m having some small security issues with my latest site and I’d like to find something more secure.
Do you have any suggestions?
I am really impressed with your writing skills as well
as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did
you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog
like this one today.
What’s up, I desire to subscribe for this web site to obtain latest updates, so where can i do it please help.
Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site so
i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find
things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use some
of your ideas!!
Hey there! Someone in my Facebook group shared
this website with us so I came to take a look.
I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this
to my followers! Terrific blog and outstanding design.
Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Many thanks, However I am
having issues with your RSS. I don’t know why I can’t join it.
Is there anybody getting identical RSS problems? Anyone who knows
the solution can you kindly respond? Thanx!!
I blog quite often and I genuinely thank you for your information. This great article has truly peaked my interest.
I will book mark your blog and keep checking for new information about once a week.
I opted in for your Feed too.
This website was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I
have found something that helped me. Cheers!
Wonderful website. Plenty of helpful info here. I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious.
And obviously, thank you for your effort!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts
and I will be waiting for your next write ups thank you once again.
Hey There. I found your weblog the usage of msn. That is a
really neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your
helpful info. Thank you for the post. I’ll definitely return.
Hi! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok.
I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new updates.
twitter is @aasma03
I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your site.
It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come
here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing
this post and also the rest of the site is also
I’ve read a few excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for
revisiting. I surprise how much effort you place to create any such great informative web site.
Very good info. Lucky me I came across your website by accident (stumbleupon).
I have book marked it for later!
My partner and I stumbled over here different page and thought I may as well
check things out. I like what I see so now i’m
following you. Look forward to checking out your web page for a second time.
When someone writes an article he/she keeps the image of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
Thus that’s why this article is perfect. Thanks!
I will immediately snatch your rss as I can’t in finding your email subscription hyperlink or e-newsletter service.
Do you’ve any? Please let me realize in order that I could
An email subscription box on the right hand side 🙂
Good blog post. I absolutely love this website.
Wow, awesome weblog format! How long have you been blogging for?
you make blogging glance easy. The full glance of your
web site is great, as well as the content material!
Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I
provide credit and sources back to your website?
My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from some of the information you provide
here. Please let me know if this okay with
you. Appreciate it!
Hey, I would’t mind at all. Thanks for dropping by